• All items from the Asherwood Auction are physically at Asherwood in Carmel, Indiana.
• Once items have been paid for, buyers will receive paid invoices. The buyer then has the option of making an appointment with Guernsey’s to go to Asherwood to pick-up their items or arrange to have a shipper remove the items.
• Buyers are certainly welcome to choose any shipper they wish. As a convenience, Wheaton Van Lines (an international shipper than happens to be based near Asherwood in Indiana) has spent considerable time at the Estate and is fully capable of shipping anything from the Auction. Should the buyer wish to consider using Wheaton, the contact person is Dave Belford, cell: 317-558-0369, office: 317-513-9478, email: email@example.com.
• Guernsey’s will have a representative at Asherwood on Thursday 1/3 to admit paid buyers to pick-up their items. Call Guernsey’s at 212-794-2280 to make an appointment to pick-up on this date.
• When picking up, buyers must have a copy of their paid invoice. Packing supplies are not available at Asherwood. It will be the buyers’ responsibility to remove (and pack if necessary) items from where they are currently located within the Estate.
On November 17 and 18, Guernsey's will be conducting a monumental, unreserved auction of the contents of Asherwood, one of America’s most prominent homes.
Situated on more than a hundred acres in Carmel, Indiana (ranked among the nation’s best places to live by many publications), the 50,000-square-foot mansion, massive second home and private golf club house (the grounds include two golf courses) were generously donated to the Great American Songbook Foundation by Bren Simon, wife of the late respected commercial real estate developer Melvin Simon. The auction event and preceding preview dates will provide first-time public access to the fabled estate.
Hundreds of ornate examples of antique and bespoke 20th-century furniture, furnishings and decor, substantial works of art, Oriental rugs and countless smaller objects, virtually all in pristine condition, will be sold. All of the approximately 1,000 lots being sold will be offered without minimum reserve. In addition to these 1,000 regular auction lots, a separate section of the event will be devoted to selling a substantial portion of Asherwood’s vast library of antique books.
Also located in Carmel, the Great American Songbook Foundation, founded by accomplished vocalist, pianist and music preservationist Michael Feinstein, will directly benefit from the remarkable sale. Dedicated to preserving America’s rich musical legacy, the Foundation’s efforts focus on the work of such noted composers as George and Ira Gershwin, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter, Rodgers and Hammerstein, Lerner and Loewe and many other composers and performers whose collective body of work will live on through the important efforts of the Foundation.
Behind imposing entry gates, at the end of a majestic tree-lined drive, the Asherwood home and surrounding gardens are nothing short of breathtaking. Some say it would cost upwards of $100 million, and many years’ time, to duplicate this remarkable property today. For those who appreciate richly appointed furnishings, this auction will be like no other.
On November 10 and 11, as well as November 16, the public will be invited to inspect the Asherwood treasures to be auctioned.
For those unable to experience the grandeur of Asherwood in person, absentee bidding will be available via Liveauctioneers.com, Invaluable.com and Proxibid.com. Please visit www.guernseys.com for the full event schedule or feel free to contact the auction house in New York.
The mission of the Great American Songbook Foundation, founded in 2007 by five-time Grammy® Award nominee Michael Feinstein, is to inspire and educate by celebrating the Great American Songbook – the timeless standards of pop, jazz, Broadway and Hollywood. Headquartered at the Center for the Performing Arts in Carmel, the Foundation advances this rich legacy by curating physical artifacts of its creators, performers and publishers; operating a multimedia exhibit gallery; overseeing the Songbook Hall of Fame; offering programs for the public and research opportunities for scholars and artists; and providing educational opportunities for student musicians, including the annual Songbook Academy® summer intensive. The Foundation is a Cultural Affiliate of the Los Angeles-based Grammy Museum®. www.thesongbook.org
Those who are interested in participating can view the catalogue online, and leave advance absentee bids, as well as bid live as the sale is taking place at liveauctioneers.com, invaluable.com and Proxibid.com.
Guernsey's welcomes inquiries from the media regarding both past and upcoming events. PDF copies of the press release and links to media coverage of our Asherwood Auction are available below: